Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Get Fit

How do you like that title....?? Sounds easy doesn't it? Well.... I can tell you right now that it is quite time consuming!! My sister, Nannie, aka Cindy, signed several family members up for this really cool program here in L town. Of course, Kimber's (my neice) coach Ms. Boles talked Nannie into it!! Which wasn't hard to do!! Well.... the program will last until December the 8th!! The program is geared toward getting people up and out of the house.... re~train their mentality toward exercise in general. You report weekly about how many minutes you exercise, how many "special events" of motavational (sp...cause I am a bad speller) speakers and how much weight lost. We are known as the "Humdingers" : Nannie, Kimber, Amanda, Ashley, myself and now..get ready for this.... our "ringer"..... Ironman Randy .... we thought he could help us out with a few points!!! But what at first was greedyness...has turned into inspiration..... he helps to motivate us all. It has been fun so far.

Ok... now this whole program is done on the "honor" system.....hmmmm..might I add that I am not to sure how many "honorable" people there are in this deal......the exercise part is fine............ the event thing is fine.... but the weight dealy is pretty creative.... of which I think the organizers have figured this situation out already..... you see.... you are, or were, supposed to report weight loss weekly. That would be fine except.... lets say that in one week you lost (where did it go) 2 pounds. Ok good.... you would report it to your "captain"..... the captain would then report it on line... now comes the tricky part....each pound is worth 50 points.... so that would total 100 right??? Well.... if the captain types in 100..... that multiplys automatically....when really they should type in 02..... the computer program would then figure it automatically.... so now you see where i am going with this deal. Now... most of us can look at the totals and know when a number is correct.... but I guess the team called the "Low Fat Warriors"...have not figured it out!!!! They always seem to stay in 1st place....kinda irks me. Now, usually i am not competitive...however....if I am going to put myself out on the line.....the numbers have got to work!! OK... now comes the juicy part...... this week they lose 2 pounds.... poundage now reported........ next week, guess what......???? they are up 3 pounds...opps........ then the next week they lose 1 pound....that should put them back to square 1 right???? Well heck no.... they report the 1 pound weight loss..... I guess it makes them feel pretty good about themselves...I guess this can go on and on..... by December 8th..... they will have gained 10 pounds (because of Thanksgiving) but will somehow have lost 30 pounds!!! Well, I guess it just goes to show you that no matter what incentives are offered in life.... someone will always find a way around it!

It will be fun to see how this program progresses. I am encouraging the Get Fit powers that be to keep some type of program going. It gets me out of the house... gets me walking.... gets me to events..... encourages me....

Nannie, Kimber and I participated in the "Red Raider Road Race" on the Texas Tech Campus.... now I must add that Texas Tech has NOTHING to do with this race.... it is put on by the West Texas Running club...of which Randy is the internal race director....(Randy, I knew you would want me to set the record straight)!! Now....mind you... I DON'T run....it hurts my teeth... not to mention my over mental health.... so... here we are.... us girls are going to do the 5K and Randy the 10 K..... why don't they just use the actual mileage..... 5k is a little over 3 miles..... ok.... so here we are standing in the big group..... walkers have been advised to stay in single file to the right for the first few minutes so we would not get run over (my cute husband made that announcement). The horn goes off... (oh yes, Randy and I went to the new "Ganders" to get this air horn thing.... we get home.... I could see the handwriting on the wall.....yes, people... you know it..... he had to toot the horn.....my dog Sydney Ann ran under our bed and did not come out until the wee hours of the morning).....yes, Randy,,,, it is LOUD! So..back on track... the horn goes off.... excitement builds... Nannie takes off running....mind you.... she has her purse strap around her neck and her purse hangs down to her side..... Kimber and I crack up..... Nannie is actually pushing on,.... cool.... Ok, about this time...you guessed it..... one of the other West Texas Running club members could not resist the urge to toot the air horn again... I guess it is a guy thingy! I chuckled again and could not wait to inform Randy of this "guy thing". I am sure Kimber could have poured past most of the people there... but she felt sorry for me... she stayed with me... sweet kimber.....we walked... I walked as fast as I could.... Nannie was quickly out of our sight.... how could I be slower than some of these other walkers....how dare they.... ok... come on Kimber... lets trot.... so we trotted.... and trotted... my tounge was hanging out... ok... gotta stop... let me catch my breath.... ok...now... where is Randy..... damn him.... he is fast...and he is 51 years old.... he was passing teenagers.....ok..... caught my breath.... much better... lets try again Kimber.... ok Tia she says.... I thank her a million times for staying with her 'ol Tia.... will that finish line ever come into view?????

Well finally Kimber and I came accross the finish line... I refused to run the last few yards because if I could not run most of the race I did not want to look like my running was that slow. Nannie greeted us..... Randy greeted us (he ran the 10k...) all is well. Not medal continders..no sir. But guess what.... Nannie is the proud owner of a "Red Raider Road Race" medal... she placed 3rd....yeahhhhhhhh. Randy won 2nd place in his age division.... yeahh.......

I am sure there will be more events.... we have already done the Susan G. Komen race for breast cancer.....health fair at the mall.....walks over at tech terrace.... lectures....etc.... thanks Nannie for the encouragement!

My next blog will be a great contrast to this one......as I tell you about the New Baskin~Robbins..... peace out babe!! AND GET FIT!!!!!

No comments:

Ironman

Ironman
April 2006