Saturday, October 20, 2007

Baskin~Robbins

O.k. ... so you never realize what you have until it is gone!!!!! For years, Lubbock has had Baskin~Robbins ice cream stores!! I think my first experience with BR (as I now call it) was when the south plains mall opened their doors back in the 70's!! My favorite flavor was "Mint Chocolate Chip"..... now referred to by me as Chocolate mint!

Now, I believe that there were atleast two different owners of the franchises here. One man was always pretty grumpy! I always wondered why in the heck was he the owner of an ice cream store!!!! It should be such a happy place.....such joy should be shared.... but no, he was a grump. Over the years...locations moved....different owners appeared....new locations....yes, life was good!!

Traditions: For many years, the girls and I....you know Amanda and Ashley..... would go to BR on the first day of school and the last day of school.... yes... it was wonderful. A great tradition. Through the years, we would take different friends with us to celebrate the fun events! Yes... great times.... I always got chocolate mint..... the girls always varied on what they got.

One year, we were on our way to BR on the last day of school. Hmmm.......we had a wreck... no, it was not my fault. Some high school boys from Monterey were having some last day of school fun that ruined their summer... they were going around to junior highs throwing water balloons at the kids...stupid is what I called them.... but I guess their brains when out with the balloons cause as the driver was headed down a busy street.... he decided to make a left turn....across three lanes of traffic......right into us!!!! There were kids on back of the pick up.... I just knew one would end up under my van.... oh well, after I talked to his mother..... I hear he was grounded all summer..... But.... the most important part of this story was...... we did make it to BR that evening!!!!! Not much could stop us!!!!!!

Now I will swerve back to the subject at hand. A few years ago.....pre I-27, the giants within the BR corporation decided to pull Lubbock from the BR market!! How dare they!!! They said that this area was out of their way~not enough deliveries....and remember......the official I~27 was not official.......so, they gave the franchises 1 year to prepare..... now, I give the people credit. They visited many ice cream factories and tasted many different flavors of ice cream...... they finally settled upon a company and joined forces and re~named the facilities in Lubbock "Kalidoscoops". They did their best.... yes, we continued to visit them....however, the chocolate mint was not the same at all.... but I persevered....I suffered.... but we celebrated Amanda graduating from Coronado High School and Texas Tech University. We celebrated Ashley graduating from Coronado High School and South Plains College~Cosmetology School. On the last day of their high school career, I gave each girl a James Avery charm that was an ice cream cone. I am sure the girls will always remember these special days.

I digress.....now, back on track.....I truly began to miss BR..... no, really. Everytime I would go to dallas.... I made sure I made up for my lack of chocolate mint. Then as Randy began his triathlons and we would travel.... I would seek out BR's everywhere. When we would get to the hotel..... I would grab the phone book and check for a BR. He would grab the phone book and seek out the nearest bicycle shop..... what is wrong with him!! Obviously I have my priorities straight!!! I knew I had an addiction when we went to Tempe Arizona the first year..... we drove out there... so, yeah, I had my car to play seek and find with the BRs of Arizona!!!! The second year to Tempe..... we flew....did not rent a car..... but just so you know.... I have a great memory for certain things....you know, the important things of life.... I remembered where each one was. With my trusty map....I set out one day for the "nearest" BR.....I walked... I walked........I walked.............................well...... five hours later, I was back at our hotel! You think I am kidding.....I am NOT. I can proudly say... I probably walked off every calorie that I injested!!! I knew I had a problem. Randy felt sorry for me.... told me that he thought he had heard something about BR coming back to L town. Please do not toy with my emotions I said. I was tired.....had an injury during this expedition........to an old ankly injury..... really.... I was limping..... had to elevate my ankle......this is not funny..... I dreamed that night.....about.............chocolate mint.... yes, I am sick.

Days, Weeks and Months pass.... not a word... I googled BR..... I looked up Lubbock Online.... I am deflated by this point.... I am quite sad.

Dollar Tree is another weekness. One Sunday, I read in the newspaper about a New Dollar Tree....grandopening.....cool!! I believe I shall drive out to that area and find the New Dollar Tree......I drove, I drove,.... it was hidden.... darn them.... finally, I found them!!! After shopping there.... I decided to cruise the parking lot to see the other stores.........yes..........you know what is comming next........................BASKIN~ROBBINS COMMING SOON!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh.......I blinked..... my heart stopped.... I whipped out my cell phone and called Amanda and Ashley....I wanted them to sit down as I gave them the good news..............I started singing "Oh Happy Day".....the clouds broke open.... the sun shone directly on the end of that shopping center....

The stalking began....... I did drive bys every couple of days......The beautiful sign finally went up on the building.... Ashley finally asked one of the workers when they would open.....soon they said.............. the waiting, the planning,.......one more trip to Dallas.....I showed great restraint and only got two dips of chocolate mint.......

October finally got here......... Grandopening of BASKIN~ROBBINS.....the girls and I planned.... we planned.... we planned......Amanda cooked breakfast for Ash and I......we sat out on their new deck until the sun warmed us up enough.... the opening would be at 11:00 a.m.......at about 10:30, we all headed toward BR......pulled up into the parking lot..... damn, a lady pulled up right in front of me.... I thought I was going to have to get violent..........we all stood out on the sidewalk...... the owner came out and talked to us.... Her name is Heather..... Now....she has the personality to OWN a BR!!! She has character..... 11:00 a.m........door opened...........yes.........take a deep breath....smell that? Waffle cones being make.... the familiar hum of the freezers.... the pink spoons......the bright colored cups.......yes....we have arrived....Taylor and Nickolas got their first taste of BR..... it was a big hit!! We used that day to celebrate Taylors first day of school ( he goes to mothers day out)..... the tradition continues.......hopefully.........L town will always have a baskin robbins.... and believe me, I am doing everything I can to keep them in business...damn the Get Fit program..... I just have to work harder....

We just got back from another trip to Dallas....guess what.... I did not go to BR...... because.... I have to save all of my calories for the Lubbock location.

Another location of BR will be opening after the first of the year across from the Texas Tech campus. I think I have told just about everyone I know about BR being back in L town.... I will continue to spread the word (hopefully my body will not spread).... Thank you Heather and Scott Womack for bring sunshine back to our "First" and "Last" days of school as the tradition moves to the next generation. Life is good. Chocolate mint is good...all is well

No comments:

Ironman

Ironman
April 2006